Read each clue carefully. Complete each checkpoint accurately based on the description.
You must complete 9 out of the 10 checkpoints. Checkpoint #10 is mandatory (cannot be your skip), and will need to be completed last, otherwise checkpoints can be completed in any order throughout the race.
Our HQ will review your submission almost instantly. You should see your response very quickly but you do not need to wait around for it, especially if you are confident that you completed the checkpoint correctly.
Teams need to stay together throughout the race from one checkpoint to another and each team member (and their body markings when possible) should be visible in every submission unless otherwise noted.
If you have a race-related question during the race you can submit it through your Team Bonfyre. We will respond quickly and provide you with the information you need as long as it doesn't impact your ability to solve the clue.
We have carefully scouted and vetted every checkpoint but cities are a constantly changing beast so if a checkpoint is inaccessible or you're not able to complete the requirements for any reason let us know right away and we will adjust the requirements if needed and verify accordingly.
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!
This name of this venue, which is located about 9 blocks northeast from the Access, might make you think there's a bunch of people riding stationary bikes inside. But actually the sport they specialize in is the same one that Forest Gump masters while recovering from a gunshot wound he got while in Vietnam. The address above the door is the same as the number of minutes in a full NBA game. Once there head inside and go down the stairs and find a staff member who will instruct you on how to complete the "Run Around Challenge". Once you successfully complete the challenge, the staff will guide you to the photo booth where you'll take a picture of your entire team and submit it to HQ. FYI...the photo booth requires you to either post the picture onto one of your social media networks or email it to yourself. You can do that and then save that photo to your device and submit it to HQ through the Bonfyre App.
* If you have difficulty figuring out how to get the photo booth picture onto your device via email or social media let HQ know and we will have you take a backup picture at another designated location in the venue.
- 1 picture, all team members visible
- Team is at the specified venue and has completed the "Run Around Challenge"
- Picture submitted is in the venue's designated photo booth (or at the designated backup location if needed)
This business, located along South Michigan Ave, is attached to a building that claims to have one of the two remaining human operated elevators in the city. If that elevator were located inside the business you need to get to, it would probably be operated by a "Walker", "Roamer", or "Lurker" instead of a human. The address of the business is also an area code commonly found in Santa Clara, CA. When you arrive a staff member will instruct you on how to complete this checkpoint. Once you complete the checkpoint you will receive an item. Take a picture of your entire team and that item as proof that you completed the challenge and escaped ahead of the competition! If our HQ can't verify the item you're holding we may ask you to submit a separate close-up picture of just the item.
- 1 picture, or multiple pictures if needed, all team members visible
- Team is at the specified South Michigan Ave location
- The designated item is clearly visible and identifiable confirming your team has completed the challenge
Chicago is an amazing city for so many reasons, but none as delicious as it's pizza! Although locals tend to prefer it a little deeper, you can use any variety for this challenge. Take a picture of your team, or a combination of your team and as many strangers as needed in order to have 5 total people taking a bite of one slice of pizza. Each of the 5 individuals should be biting somewhere around the edge of the slice (so you may need to get cozy with one another), and your hands should not be touching or supporting the pizza (aka the slice is being held up only with everyone's mouths/teeth). Just make sure the slice has cooled down before everyone takes a bite! Also, you may want to take the picture from above the group so our HQ can verify everyone has their mouths on it.
- 1 picture, all team members clearly visible if possible
- Team members and as many strangers as needed to have 5 total people completing the challenge
- The group of 5 individuals are all taking a bite of one slice of pizza and their hands are not touching or supporting the slice
This recently built set of stairs are found directly south of the popular tourist attraction that sends people on an 8 minute long journey where you're never more than 150 feet from where you started. The steps are part of a wall that shares it's name with something in physics that would be defined as "an oscillation accompanied by a transfer of energy that travels through space or mass". Get your team to these steps and take a video of your entire team attempting to run up the entire length of the staircase within one continuous 9-second video (the maximum length that can be uploaded to Bonfyre).
*Just remember that in order to film a continuous video using the app's video feature you'll need to hold down the record button the entire time.
- 1 video, all team members visible
- Team is at the specified staircase located directly south of the specified attraction
- Team attempts to run up the entire length of the staircase within one 9-second video (the maximum that can be uploaded to Bonfyre)
It's hard to believe that in just over 3 months people will be gathered in this Plaza to watch the official Christmas Tree light up. A day like today may make you wish it was that time of year already, but hopefully this challenge will help cool you off. Get to the fountain located in this Plaza and take a full 9-second video of your team while each racer is standing over top (straddling) a separate jet of water. Each racer should be straddling (and not just standing beside) a separate jet that is actively spraying water. The key to this challenge may be timing your 9 second video perfectly so that you stay relatively dry...unless of course the "just wet my pants" look is what you're going for.
Because of the circumstances of this challenge you can either submit a video of your entire team all completing the challenge at the same time (while a kind stranger films) OR you can submit multiple videos with half your team doing it in each video so that someone on your own team can film and watch any valuables.
- 1 video, all team members clearly visible and completing the challenge at the same time
- Multiple videos, all team members clearly visible and completing the challenge separately
- Team is at the specified fountain in the specified Plaza
- Each racer must stand over top (straddle) a separate jet of water that is actively spraying water for a 9-second video
There are 18 different places you could complete this challenge around the city, but that doesn't mean it's going to be easy. Take a picture of your entire team on any of the 18 historic Chicago Loop Bridges while a motorcycle is driving across the bridge behind you. The motorcycle should be actively riding across the bridge behind you and not just parked along the bridge. Your team and the motorcycle should both be on one of the historic Loop bridges and not just riding by on an adjacent road. This challenge will take a lot of skill, perfect timing, and probably some luck, but if you're able to get that perfect shot then it may be just what you need to get ahead of the competition.
- 1 picture, all team members visible
- Team is on any of the 18 historic Chicago Loop Bridges
- A motorcycle is riding across the bridge in the background and is clearly visible and identifiable
Started nearly 30 years ago along the California coast, this sport (or training methodology) has grown dramatically in recent years. The company whose logo is shown below has two locations in or around the Loop that provide this type of training. On a typical day inside these facilities you'd likely see a lot of intense WOD's, but thankfully you won't need to go inside to complete this challenge. Get your team to the front of EITHER of this company's two nearby locations and take a video of your entire team completing 2 full Burpees within a 9-second continuous video. If needed, you can submit two videos, each with half your team completing the challenge so that someone on your own team can film. For quick verification, be sure the orange company logo found on the front windows of either location is visible behind your team. If you're not sure what a Burpee is you can CLICK HERE to see a description.
- 1 video, or multiple videos if needed, all team members visible
- Team is at either of the two specified locations and it is identifiable
- Teams members all complete 2 full Burpees within one 9-second continuous video
This park, which commemorates a former first lady, didn't even exist the last time we raced in this city...so we're excited to break it in. Once there, get your team to the set of uncovered slides shown in the picture below. Take a video of your entire team attempting to slide down any one of these slides and run back up to the top of the green hill within one 9-second continuous video. Teamwork and the "leave no racer behind" mantra will likely determine whether you can all get down the slide and back up the hill within 9 seconds.
* Be mindful of other park visitors as you complete the challenge and don't cut in line or run anyone over as you attempt it.
- 1 video, all team members visible
- Team is at the specified set of uncovered slides in the specified park
- Team attempts to slide down one slide and run back up to the top of the green hill within one continuous 9-second video
Something that may be even more prevalent than popcorn in this city are "Columba livia". To complete this challenge take a picture of your entire team with exactly 4 "Columba livia" in the background, no more, no less. This challenge will likely test your patience, maybe your herding skills, and your ability to time the perfect picture.
- 1 picture, all team members clearly visible
-"Columba livia" are clearly visible and identifiable
- Your team and exactly 4 "Columba livia" are in the picture, no more, no less
(MANDATORY, CANNOT BE YOUR SKIP)
(MUST BE COMPLETED LAST BY YOUR TEAM)
After you have completed 8 total checkpoints and had them verified by our Race HQ, then this checkpoint will be the final one you complete. The FINISH LINE for the entire race!
The establishment you need to get to, which is found along North State Street, is shown below.
Once your team completes your 8th total checkpoint successfully start heading towards this location and our Race HQ will send you a quick and brief instruction on what your team needs to do once you get there. Once you complete the objective or upload the required submission at this location you will be finished the race and you will instantly receive your finish place and time! Then if you'd like, you can relax with your team, some other fun racers, and recover from your adventure at this after race venue!
- All team members present at the Finish
- Team completes the requirement outlined by Race HQ